Freitag, 17. Juni 2016

To the British

Hello, this is the digital diary bringing reports out of the interpreter's booth. My main languages are German and French, English is my so called passive language.

Today, I'm very sad. Yesterday, a woman was killed in England because of her en­ga­ge­ment with the european causa. Her Name was Jo Cox, she left two children and a husband. He has called on people to “fight against the hatred that killed her”.

Here is the long version of the quote: "She would have wanted two things above all else to happen now, one that our precious children are bathed in love and two, that we all unite to fight against the hatred that killed her. Hate doesn't have a creed, race or religion, it is poisonous."

Kinderhand, europablau angemalt.
High five for Europe!
The very last weeks, I have been trying to persuade Brexiters to stay. But the more I do, the more I realize the decision to leave the EU is not rational but it is feral. I am truly worried that the UK will leave, and I'm truly shocked that people believe the EU works against them rather than for them.

I am of that generation that benefited from the EU, I have been to most EU countries, I studied in two and worked in six of them, and the idea that those opportunities will not be available to the generation of our child­ren saddens me greatly. More than that is the realization that we live in times of hate, fear and mistrust, in which bridges that were built over decades have lost all meaning ...

Please stay ... and then, we have to re­build Europe on our shared european values (and not on the idea of pleasing the financial brontosaurus). Re­main, and help ma­king the EU a union for ci­ti­zens along two sim­ple prin­ci­ples: Hu­mans are the mea­sure of all things (the hu­ma­nis­tic motto) and United in Di­ver­si­ty. The last sen­tence is by the way the 'slogan' of the EU that's never put for­ward, because the EU does a ter­rible job at com­mu­ni­ca­ting. Another thing that has to change.

______________________________  
Foto: C.E.
Text credits:
Merci à Natalie Leroy et
à Adrian Garcia-Landa 

Keine Kommentare: